Whether you’re looking to put your home on the market soon – or just looking for great ways to increase your own enjoyment and beauty of your home, think “outdoor” improvements. Here are seven areas where small improvements can make big differences in creating your backyard sanctuary:
- Privacy: Everyone loves privacy when it comes to enjoying the backyard, and creating your private retreat can be as simple as using the right shrubs or trees to attain it. You might also consider an enclosed gazebo or installing a private screen you could build – or purchase.
- Low-maintenance landscaping: Everyone likes low maintenance and a good place to start is by having sufficient amounts of mulch and rock to help keep weeds from taking over a garden. Install low-maintenance perennial shrubs and flowers that do well in Colorado’s dry weather.
- Lighting: Good outdoor lighting helps make a property appear more inviting, increases the usability of the space and improves the security of a home. If wiring isn’t in place or convenient, consider using solar lights for an atmospheric boost.
- Natural wood and stone: From decks to paths, entertainment areas and benches, natural wood and stone can’t be beat.
- Fire pits and fireplaces: Whether entertaining friends or making s’mores with the kids, there’s something irresistible about a summer evening around an outdoor fireplace or fire pit.
- Outdoor structures: In terms of boosting the function of your backyard (and therefore increasing your home’s value), or just making the space more inviting, a gazebo or pergola can go a long way.
- Bring indoors out: Just adding an attractive outdoor rug over that ugly gray concrete patio will instantly transform the area. Add a few colorful containers with flowers or greenery and you won’t believe the difference this makes.